Depression or Anxiety
If you want to talk with someone about depression or anxiety, remember that you can chat with your Senior Resident. To set-up a meeting, you can use the contact form, by clicking the button below.
The following resources can also help:
- You can make an appointment to see the Residential Life Manager
- Visit ANU Counselling where ANU students can get 6 free counselling sessions per semester.
- ANU students and staff with a valid medicare/OHSC card can see a GP at ANU Health for free.
- Kids Helpline provides 24/7 web counselling for those under 25, or can be called 24/7 on 1800 55 1800
- Headspace provides free counselling sessions, runs drop in sessions, provides over the phone support and online support.
- You can call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 24/7 or chat online 24/7.
- City Mental Health can provide a government funded psychiatrist, with a referral from your GP.
- If you become overwhelmed, try to refocus:
- Method 1: Breath Out. Take a deep breath in, and then breathe out all the way, then continuously breathe out until you can’t breathe out any more. Repeat until you feel calm.
- Method 2: The 5 senses. Find something that positively appeals to one of your five senses (touch, sigh, sound, smell or taste). Focus on this until you clear your mind and are calm.
- Feeling blue?
- Managing moods
- Anxiety management techniques
- Having trouble sleeping?